Sunday, March 29, 2009

29 March 2009

The photo you see of a very frightening apparition is what I like to call, "My Pollenated Bean." You see, it's near the end of the month and I would very much like to achieve my stated goal of 510 miles for March; I'm a little behind. Seeing as I am going on a field trip with my son tomorrow, which takes precedence over anything else because I have missed so much of his early years, I cannot ride on an otherwise perfect Monday (72 degrees and sunny, winds about 5mph, you get the picture), I chose to attempt to go the distance today (Sunday). I wanted to do a century this afternoon, and made one heck of an effort, but alas, it was not to be. I am awful doggone proud of what I did manage, though. I struggled against low 50's and winds of 15-20mph and still put 72 miles behind me at an average of 16.5mph; before I called my wife and asked her to come get me. I had taken a beating trying to "circum-cycle" Lake Murray, and it seemed that every way I turned the wind was in my face. There were gusts of wind that seemed to nearly stop me dead in my tracks. At times, I would be on only a slight incline and only a whisper away from calling on Granny. It was a great ride! So, why the picture? Because when my wife picked me up, AFTER having several conversations at the C-store where I bought coffee and waited for her, she looked at me and said, "You have pollen all over you!" No wonder everyone looked at me funny. It wasn't my fat behind stuffed into spandex shorts after all! I had been pollenated in all the wind and was clueless. That's cool, I am often clueless. I still had a great ride.
Be blessed, be safe.

No comments: