Tuesday, December 29, 2009

29 December 2009

This is actually a NASA photo of Antarctica, but it describes beautifully how I felt tonight on our Tuesday Night Urban Assault! It was 42 degrees when we left and 37 degrees when we got back, man, it was chilly! Add to that the Congaree was a bit over her banks so we had a couple of detours where the water was just too deep to ease through. A great night as always! And a fine bunch of people, though the colder weather is revealing just who the hardcore are.
Last week it was 42 degrees at the end of our ride, so I decided I had to dress a little warmer this week. It's a literal laundry list: thin socks, thick wool socks, and shoe covers; bib shorts, knee warmers, and UnderArmor Coldgear long tights; UnderArmor t-shirt, UnderArmor Coldgear longsleeve turtleneck shirt, Hincapie jersey, longsleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt, and North Face fleece; balaclava, and cap. It was a literal load of laundry afterwards! I hate being cold! I had on about eight pounds of clothing, but I didn't get cold. And, it added to my workout having the extra weight and resistance. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Now I have a new PR for coldest ride, and it turns out I am less than 7 miles away from DOUBLING last year's mileage! Now, 43xx miles may not impress you, but it impresses the heck out of this 43 year old fat guy! I don't know if I can double it again next year, but it would be cool to see 6000+ miles. We'll see.
Keep hammering, don't let the air temps get in your way.
Be blessed, be safe.

No comments: