Wednesday, January 13, 2010

13 January 2009

Wow, where does the time go? Hard to believe I haven't updated this in a while, but, there hasn't been a lot to say. It has been TOO cold for weenie-boy to actually get outside on a bicycle. I have missed my Tuesday night urban assault for the last two weeks because the thermometer has been down in the 30's; if you are Jill Homer of "Up in Alaska", then you can handle it. I am not. Also, I have been off my trainer for a few days allowing some 'ahem' healing to take place. Hopefully though, I will be back on the trainer tomorrow because there are now less than 19 weeks until the 2010 Assault on Mt. Mitchell.
I still have bicycle on the brain though, and a gift card left over from Christmas for my favorite bike shop, Grand Strand Bicycles (GSB) in Murrells Inlet, SC. I've been friends with the owners (Tim and Mary) for several years now and whenever I can get to the coast I go see them. Because not only are they awesome people, they take excellent care of me as well as every customer that walks in their door. This IS an endorsement! If you live in Horry or Georgetown counties, or if you are on vacation in the area, you need to see Tim and Mary for all your bicycling needs and wants!
GSB recently (October '09) moved to a new location about three times bigger than the old one, and I have been unable until yesterday to go visit. So, I took my Roubaix and my giftcard and hit the road early yesterday. I wanted to get my bike checked out, it had been a while, and it was a good thing I did. I needed a new chain and bottom bracket, and was able to pick up a few other items. I am excited about the coming cycling season and am happily preparing for it.
As well as preparing my equipment for the season, I am trying to better prepare me for it. I am currently studying (that's right, not just "reading") Dr. Edmund R. Burke's book, "The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling." An excellent read, very educational, covering all the subjects such as rest, nutrition, and the different training disciplines.
So, what does the season look like? Just base miles and different activities on the trainer until March: on the 6th is a 60-mile "March on Caesar's Head" in the SC upstate, and on the 27th is the 82-mile (appropriately named) "Marquis de Sade," beginning in North Greenville and going into NC and back. April means a couple of unorganized training rides such as Paris Mountain, White Oak Mountain, and Marion (NC) to the top of Mt. Mitchell. Also in April is the Taylor Feda Memorial Ride which I will at a later date give a post of its own, as it deserves. May is the Tour de Cure for the American Diabetes Association (please contribute, I'll post how later) and, of course, Mt. Mitchell. Don't know that I have anything in the summer months other than riding very early to beat the SC heat! I am especially excited about September as that is the MS150, a two-day ride from the Midlands of SC to Sunset Beach in NC, to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. October will probably finish the year with a century in Orangeburg,SC for gang awareness, and a metric in Camden,SC for Habitat for Humanity. Busy year ahead full of good stuff!
How's your year looking? If you're not too busy, you're always welcome to come and ride with me, I'll do my best to keep up!
Be blessed, be safe.

No comments: