Friday, August 28, 2009

28 August 2009

Pulled a no-no, a major one: I went a solid week without riding my bike. So, I went for a ride today, 47.65 miles, and I am now officially in pain. I have been home for hours, even took a nap, and I can barely stand. Nah, it's not really that bad, I actually got out and dug up a few stumps before dinner, but I really shouldn't stay off the bike that long. Muscles go flabby and skin gets soft again. I'll try to get a good night's sleep and go out again in the morning. Got to stay regular. Riding, I mean.
Encountered an elderly gentleman on a bike this morning, not a Townie, but a similar bike. Spoke to him as I passed him and he informed me he was working his way back from a hip replacement. That might be too much information for some of you, coming from a total stranger, but let's look at this a minute. We're talking about an elderly man, could be late 60's, maybe even 70ish. I, myself, am a 43-year-old ER nurse, and I spend much of my time at work caring for patients MUCH younger than myself with MUCH less severe complaints. Yet this older gentleman, who, let's face it has most of his life behind him, REFUSES to give up! This man doesn't even know it, but he is my hero.
Be blessed, be safe.

No comments: