Wednesday, September 2, 2009

2 September 2009

When all else around me is madness, I am glad I can outrun it for a little while on a bicycle.
Did some cleaning in the garage yesterday, and some re-arranging. Had to put my trainer back into a good position to see the television. While I am happy as can be to see some cooler weather, that tells me soon it will be getting to temperatures cooler than I care to ride in. I'll hit the road every chance I get, but the wise man always has a backup plan. Cold and nasty? I don't care, I'll pop in a DVD or CD. All good.
I am not really gaining any ground right now, weight-wise, but I do feel like I am showing improvement performance-wise. Some of the hills I used to fear, I now flatten. And there is one hill out there, looming like a specter that haunts my every pedal stroke; Mt. Mitchell. For the last two years, Mt. Mitchell has beaten me. Oh, I am proud of how much better I did this year than last, for sure. But I have yet to finish. In 2008, I made it to Marion, and was pleased. In 2009, I made it to the Parkway, and was disappointed that I just barely missed it. In 2010, I hope to make it all the way to the top. So, I can't just sit around waiting for fair weather to go out riding, can I?
I spent the money last year and bought a CycleOps fluid trainer. If you're looking for a good one, I recommend this one. It does a great job of simulating an actual road ride. You can take it easy and get a good spin in, or you can throw it into a hard gear and feel as if you are slogging it up your favorite mountain to hate. Great trainer, well worth the expense.
Went out on a group ride last night, one I'd never been on before. Had a blast! Could not believe there were at least 50 people in the area that wanted to get together for a bike ride on a Tuesday evening. Some hammers in the crowd, too. They would re-group on occasion, and at the first re-group I was showing an average speed of over 20 mph! I don't/can't ride like that when I am out by myself. This is one I'll repeat.
Keep riding, and love it like I do.
Be blessed, be safe.

No comments: