Thursday, September 30, 2010

2010 MS150 "Breakaway to the Beach"

Attempted something this weekend that I had not yet done, and although I did not make it, I still fell that I succeeded. Tried to do back-to-back centuries in the 2010 MS150 "Breakaway to the Beach." First day went well, even though it was hot as blazes at the end; second day went very well until the lightning storm rolled in and the course had to be closed for safety reasons. After riding 98.5 miles the first day, I didn't think I'd want to get on a bike for a couple of days, but I did, and teamed up with a couple of guys who were similar cyclists; we had a four-man paceline, rotating in and out, which worked out great in the headwind we were dealing with. We managed to make 71 miles before we were told we couldn't go on. Big disappointment, but just motivates me for next year. Ended up with 169.59 miles and an average speed of 16.6 mph.
Everything about this ride was great, mucho kodus to the organizers and volunteers! Everyone was friendly and helpful and there was a ton of great food involved. And all for a great cause, "a world free of MS." I understand around $700,000 was raised to help folks who truly need it; always a good thing!
Be blessed, be safe!

No comments: