Monday, December 27, 2010

27 December 2010

'Bout to put a lot of things behind me; Christmas, a lame hunting season, and 2010. It's not been a bad year, busy but not bad.
I finished Mt. Mitchell back in May, very happy about that, and already looking forward to next May and the opportunity to better my time up the mountain. I won't make the 6000 miles I had hoped for but I will make 4000, and I guess I am happy with that.
I learned a lot this year, about biking and nursing. I have become a better ER nurse and even reproduced; I oriented a new nurse who is now on his own and giving to our profession. I took my nursing "on the road" this year, taking two weeks in the summer to go work in health clinics in Samoa. That was a neat opportunity to give to folks something we take for granted here. You think people lack health care here in the States?! You should see the rest of the world!
My hunting season has been lackluster. I've spent the last three months in the woods every chance I get, and the only deer I have seen were roadkill on the interstate. 'Nuff said about that.
Christmas was fun, though played down a bit this year. Took the kids to western NC to get a tree and we were able to go up the mountain and see elk and wild turkey. That was a great and rainy day! Had to work on Christmas Eve and one of my always delightful patients was kind enough to bring me a virus I am still dealing with. It didn't put me down, just kind of aggravating. I'll get over it. Hasn't stopped me from enjoying our favorite Christmas movies with my family.
So, what's next? Well, I have been a bit careless with the holiday eating, so my major New Year's resolution is too work on my weight. I have been exercising like crazy, I just need to fix my dietary habits. Started back on November 1st to ride every day, regardless. When I feel good and have the time, I take a good long ride. If I don't have the time, I try to kill it for at least 30 minutes. When I don't feel so hot, I still ride at least 30 minutes, then usually do whatever it takes to hit 10 miles. Hopefully soon, as I improve, I will be hitting 10 in 30!
As I said earlier, I am excited about 2011 AoMM, and am already preparing myself for it. I would love to do it in 8 hours or so this year, I think I can. Gonna take some work and commitment though.
Get out there and ride.
Be blessed, be safe.

No comments: