Friday, June 4, 2010

4 June 2010

It just occurred to me that this picture of me with my helmet on looks like one of the mushrooms in the Mario Bros. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, went out for a nice long ride today, no hurry, just wanted to ride around Lake Murray; about 73 miles. Something happened today that happened two days ago and has left me a tad chapped: drivers with ZERO consideration for my well-being. I'm not asking for any special favors, I'd just like to make it home alive and in one piece. With that said, I'd like to present a letter explaining a few things.

Dear Pr**k, (or the feminine version, as is proper),
I'd live the opportunity to speak with you face-to-face and explain to you that I have a legal right to be on the road on my bicycle. The laws of our great state say so, and just last year a law was passed stating that you, vehicle operator, must allow me "safe distance" as you pass. That means more than the three inches you allowed today, Mr. Big Truck Driver. If it is not safe to pass me, THEN DON'T!
Also, in this age of environmental awareness, I'd like to point out that a bicyclist leaves just the tiniest carbon footprint. I am not consuming any fossil fuels, yet you choose to floor it to get around me (give me a break, I'm not going THAT fast!) and assault me with your smog-mobile.
Everyone's been talking Health Care Reform; I am taking matters into my own hands and reforming my own health. See, I'm a nurse, and I take care of many people who refuse to take care of themselves so they can run over me with their uninsured motor vehicle while I am exercising.
That's just a couple of the things I'd like to help you understand, driver of the red Chevy Avalanche that thinks it's funny to see how close you can get to me without hitting me. That's what I'd like to explain, "Mr. I'm so important I have to be on my cell phone all the time, rather than worry about killing an innocent husband/father/productive member of society."
Oh, did I fail to mention that in my scenario where I am making you a more-informed individual, we are in a dark alley? Yeah, 'cause that's where I am stomping your bloated, brainless, heart-attack-waiting-to-happen, useless mass into a fecal stain on the pavement. It is my sincere hope that you leave our encounter a better educated, more caring and compassionate individual.
I just had to get that off my chest. I feel better now.
Be blessed, be safe.

No comments: